Sunday, June 17, 2018

sesshin is overand the Ango begins

I made it through sesshin although not without a few bumps. I missed the Shoten's wake up bell this morning so I slept through the first period of zazen. now monks are supposed to be attentive and things are complicated by the white noise from my cpap machine but the Shoten's job is to send signals and the signals are supposed to be as clear as one can make them.I noticed this when I could barely hear the bonsho over the airconditioner vent right over my head. Signs and signals are not for the attentive. The attentive do not need signs or signals. One should not be like a sign painter that paints beautiful signs that no one can read. If one is ringing a bell to signal people to do things one should be more concerned with sending the signal than how beautifully the bell rings. I think this in important lesson. If one is teaching or showing the way one should be clear. Shoken's name means clear manifestation. I think the clear part is vital. A pretty lecture full off frills is less important then a clear one.A clear message of love is more important than a pretty one that leaves the receiver wondering "what was that?"