Thursday, June 21, 2018

ango cont.

Been in Ango for a few days and already one participant has left. This was my fist full day as doan the one who rings all the bells for services and zazen. I am really sorry to see the one who left gone as he was one I felt I could depend on to hold up his end of the the practice. This practice is pretty hard for people in this country. Not only is is difficult to find the time to take a couple months off, but the practice itself is not easy and it is not what people in the West expect it to be. I do not know what it was that required my new friend to leave but I wish him well on his endeavors. I slept well last night and am still a bit tired today but I am dragging my old broken carcass through the day in spite of the difficulties. It may end up with just my teacher and I before we are done, it remains to be seen. I am not even sure I can stick it out though this is much easier than an Ango in Japan. This place is like the Hilton when compared with Shogoji. We have electric lights, and a kitchen to cook in. Geothermal head and air conditioning. It has rained her for 5 days so that at least makes it feel a little like the rainy season in Japan.Almost noon and time for formal oryoki lunch. The day is already mostly over. The hard part is over and the loving part begins.